Armagh Franciscan Friary

    The ruins of the Armagh Franciscan Friary still stand, after some 750 years, at the entrance to the Palace Demesne Public Park on the Friary Road.
    The Friary was founded in 1268 by Archbishop Patrick O’ Scannail and at the time had many important patrons within the city.
    Two empty graves and two tomb recesses near the east side are a reminder of some of the patrons buried in the Friary Church, including Gormlaith O’Donnell, wife of Domhnail O’Neill in 1353.
    In terms of religious life in the city, the Franciscans played an integral part until 1542 with the dissolution of the monasteries under Henry VIII.
    Some religious life continued for the Friary on a smaller scale, but the buildings were involved in welfare later in the 16th Century and were ruined by 1600.
    Today the remains of the Friary are preserved in the public park with access around the clock.

    Latest Reviews


    Mulberry Bistro

    By Barry Randall

    'Daughter had her son's christening party on Saturday 11/11/17. Great atmosphere and an excellent meal. A first class meal guaranteed at all times.'

    Uluru Bar & Grill

    By Helen Muldrew

    'This is a lovely restaurant in the centre of Armagh It has a good variety of food and very tasty and as it is Australian you can taste kangaroo. '

    The Mall

    By Helen Muldrew

    'The Mall is a lovely place for a walk in the centre of Armagh it has lovely buildings on both sides and a cricket pitch in middle. Lots of people go for a walk here. It also has the court building'

    The Moody Boar

    By Helen Muldrew

    'Moody Boar is a lovely restaurant in a beautiful setting on council grounds Food is very good and it is really worth a visit.'

    Saint Patrick's Cathedral CoI

    By Helen Muldrew

    'This is a beautiful building steeped in history And Armagh has two catherdals . There is a great view over Armagh from outside this catherdal too. '

    Back to Top